LOCKPORT TOWNSHIP WATER BOARD MEETING
JANUARY 3, 2017
Purpose of the meeting: Regular meeting of the Lockport Township Water Board.
David Cooper, Chairman
Wayne Timm, Board Member
Paul Miller, Board Member
Mark Major, Lockport Township Rep
Pat Burke, McLellan and Strohm, Accountant
Rhonda Wright, Secretary
Lorrie Witt, Scott King
Call to order:
The January 3, 2017 meeting was called to order by Chairman David Cooper at 7:03 p.m.
Mark Major made a motion to approve the agenda as submitted. Paul Miller seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed.
Wayne Timm made a motion to accept the 12/20/2016 meeting minutes as written. Mark Major seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed.
- Accounts Receivable: Pat Burke said her office has received a few calls questioning why the meter fee and capital improvement fee did not show on the current billing. Since the billing contained more information this period requiring the need to consolidate space the meter fee and capital improvement fee were combined as one line item on the billing. On the Account Aging report Lyal Ward’s past due balance is less than the last report due to the fact the Board had approved a boil water credit and this credit was more than the current quarterly billing.
- Accounts Payable: Pat Burke stated the monthly bills are the normal bills and are in the amount of $10,919.24. Mark Major questioned if the amount due Midwest Energy Cooperative was an actual reading or estimated reading and Pat looked at the bill to determine it was an actual reading. Midwest Energy Cooperative service is for well 3 and AEP service is for well 2 and the tower. Wayne Timm said well 3 has been running the most. Pat Burke reminded everyone her office would like time sheets the day before the meeting date. Wayne Timm will check with Jennifer Ransbottom on how much JPR has paid Jim Tolfree for reading meters. Pat Burke asked about paying Mark Major as she has not paid him for the past meetings. Mark Major is a board member and should be paid accordingly. She will process the past due amount with the next payroll.
- Financial Statements: The financial statements are preliminary as not all information was available at time of preparation. Pat Burke will contact Treasurer Mike Frieser about transferring money from the savings account to the checking account. A lump sum amount is transferred a couple times per year. The balance for Arbor Financial is from the 11/30/2016 statement. A new statement was not available as of the date the statements were prepared.
Total Assets: $7,225,237.39
Total Liabilities: $115,383.91
Fund Balance: $7,109,853.48
Monthly Expenses: $10,919.24
Wayne Timm made a motion to accept the Accountants Reports and pay the bills. Paul Miller seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed.
- The system operation hours summary includes only Scott King’s and Wayne Timm’s hours. This will be updated at the next meeting.
- Pat Burke receives two email messages just after midnight each night from Miss Dig. She called Miss Dig to ask if these emails could be sent at a different time. Miss Dig told her they could be stopped but not sent a different time and that Miss Dig does not suggest stopping the midnight EOD audit email notifications. Pat suggested stopping the email notifications and having her check the Miss Dig system account each day. Pat also recommended that the ticket email notifications be sent directly to Scott King rather than having them sent to her and having her forward the tickets to Scott. As has been the practice Scott will notify Pat of the response to post for the ticket(s) and Pat will post the response to Miss Dig system. The law requires emergency ticket response be made and posted with Miss Dig within 3 hours. Non-emergency ticket responses must be made and posted within 3 days. Mark Major made a motion that EOD audit email notification be stopped, that Scott King receive the ticket email notifications and that Pat Burke review the reports each morning. Wayne Timm seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed.
- Correspondence was received from Riverside Church requesting a donation. The Board chose not to donate.
- Pat Burke reviewed the recent audit report from Seber Tans, PLC that was presented to the Lockport Township Board. She reported the numbers are the same as her office reported and that comments in the report in regards to lack of segregation of duties are not accurate to the water department. Controls are in place for segregation of duties. The $300,000 excess in cash is not for operation purposes but for capital improvements.
System Operator’s report:
Scott King has been checking pumps, rereading meters, and system maintenance. In December 3,802,000 gallons were pumped.
- There have been no new blog notification sign ups within the last month. Current number signed up are 155.
- The request for phone numbers on this billing statement has netted some numbers. Pat Burke’s office will update the system with the phone numbers.
- Pat Burke received a call from Bruce Muehlberger regarding hook up procedures. He is currently quoting a new home construction in Tamarac Subdivision. The fee to hook up is $1,695 however no written procedures or specifications are known. Paul Miller suggested we should have an approved excavation company, with a possible second company, performing all hook ups. A system operator should also be present when hook up is made. Mark Major asked David Cooper if he would come up with procedures and specifications. David agreed to work on these. David will also contact Bruce Muehlberger and discuss.
- David Cooper made a motion to change the semi-monthly board meetings to a monthly meeting effective immediately. Mark Major seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed. The next board meeting will be February 7, 2017.
- Mark Major asked about the recent road box that was replaced near Greenmark Equipment. He stated the box is too high and could possibly be damaged with snow removal. David Cooper said he will look at possible alteration to correct.
- David Cooper has prepared a capital improvement project plan. This plan along with a copy of the meeting minutes need to be submitted to Katelyn with DEQ. David Cooper made a motion to submit the 5 to 20-year capital improvement plan as written. Wayne Timm seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed.
There were no comments.
Wayne Timm made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:56 p.m. Paul Miller seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed.
Minutes Approved 2-7-2017