LOCKPORT TOWNSHIP WATER BOARD MEETING
NOVEMBER 1, 2016
Purpose of the meeting: Regular meeting of the Lockport Township Water Board.
David Cooper, Chairman
Wayne Timm, Lockport Township Rep
Lorrie Witt, Board Member
Paul Miller, Board Member
Pat Burke, McLellan and Strohm, Accountant
Scott King, System Operator
Rhonda Wright, Secretary
Call to order:
The November 1, 2016 meeting was called to order by Chairman David Cooper at 7:01 p.m.
The agenda was not formally approved at this meeting.
Wayne Timm made a motion to accept the 10/18/2016 meeting minutes as written. Paul Miller seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed.
- Accounts Payable: The monthly listing of bills was provided with a correction of $9,100 to McLellan and Stohm. The correct accounts payable amount should be $13,922.32. The amount listed for Frontier is an estimate since the meeting is on the first day of the month and a bill has not been generated. Payroll will be generated in the next few days. The amount to Scott King is mileage reimbursement. The Capital One billing is postage for current water billings and mailing of shut off notices.
- Accounts Receivable: The accounts receivable aging report was presented and discussed. Seventy customers have been issued shut off notices, which is higher than normal. One customer who paid an odd amount has been advised to pay the fees to bring account current and to stop any further fees from being charged. Pat Burke did advise one customer to e mail her request to have the account shut off fee waived, however she has not received the e mail. One property has been placed on the current year tax roll and another will be next year. Both properties are bank owned. Scott King and David Cooper were scheduled to meet with a customer at 5:30 tonight, however the customer was not home. Scott King will call to re-schedule a meeting.
- Financial Reports: No financial report was available for this meeting because McLellan and Strohm’s offices were without power during the area wide power outage.
- The check issued to the City of Three Rivers may have been lost in the mail so Pat Burke will re-issue another. JPR has not cashed the check from last month.
- Miss Dig: There were 16 Miss Dig requests resulting in 11 hours of operator’s time marking areas.
- Correspondence: Pat Burke received a letter from Miss Dig indicating customers are using the wrong phone number. The correct numbers are 811 or 800-482-7171.
Pat Burke received a letter from the Township Attorney regarding the operator being an employee vs an independent contractor. It has been determined that it is better to have as an employee.
Pat Burke questioned whether she should forward notices of upcoming workshops to Scott or if he receives them at his position with Constantine Water. He does receive the notices and would advise if he would like to attend any workshops.
Lorrie Witt made a motion to pay outstanding bills in the amount of $13,922.32. Paul Miller seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed.
System Operator’s report:
Scott King reported the system is running satisfactorily at this time. He reported 3,247,000 gallons of water was pumped and all 186 hydrants have been flushed. One hydrant on Wilbur Road does need to replaced and that all the hydrants need to painted next summer.
David Cooper made a motion to replace the Wilbur Road hydrant. Wayne Timm seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed.
A switch has been replaced in the pump of Well 2. Wayne does not feel this was a fix. A low-level alarm was sounded on Sunday morning; however, this did not result in any problems.
David Cooper has updated the emergency contingency plan phone listing. He is also trying to find a second chlorine supplier. In speaking with Katelyn from the DEQ, it was determined that the $25,000 funds already spent does count toward the Capital Improvement Fund and the future $30,000 will also count.
David Cooper made a motion to recommend hiring Scott King as an employee to the Township Board. Lorrie Witt seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed.
- Currently 142 people have signed up for the Water Department Blog. The Blog address is lockporttwpwaterdept.wordpress.com.
- Pat Burke and Scott King did open the thumb drive from JPR, although some items could not be viewed. It did contain a lot of information that appeared to be old. Pat Burke will keep in a secure location if needed in the future.
- The recommendation to the Township Board for a new member has been tabled until the next meeting.
- The phone message has been updated with new emergency contact numbers.
- Pat Burke will be ordering new invoices changing JPR to Scott King as operator. She will also add the correct telephone numbers for Miss Dig.
- Paul Miller has contacted Public Image for pricing on shirts and coats. Pricing for safety yellow tee shirts will be $8.25 for Small – XLarge and $9.75 for XXLarge. There is a $20 one time screen set up fee and a minimum order of 12 shirts. Jackets would need to be supplied and a fee of $8.50 is for embroidery. Lorrie Witt volunteered to look at cost to supply reflective vests.
Wayne Timm made a motion to order three shirts for both Scott King and Greg Millard and an additional six shirts for future use. Paul Miller seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed.
- Lorrie Witt will be making picture identification badges. These will be used with a clip cord for easy use as identification.
- Pat Burke currently has a Capital One credit card for business use and asked if one should be obtained for Scott to use. David Cooper said Scott does need a credit card.
- Mark Major, Lockport Township acting Supervisor, informed the board that a possible $5,000 grant is available and suggested this be used for a security alarm system at the well houses. He advised that Doug Kuhlman can help with the grant paperwork and David Cooper volunteered to contact Doug.
There were no comments.
Wayne Timm made a motion to adjourn meeting at 7:38 p.m. Paul Miller seconded the motion. All in favor, motion passed.
Minutes Approved: 11-15-2016